Job Description THIS JOB OPENING IS BEING USED TO FILL CURRENT AND FUTURE VACANT POSITIONS IN THIS CLASSIFICATION AT VARIOUS SHIFTS, LOCATIONS AND ASSIGNED DAYS OFF Minimum Qualifications Education
Experience Twelve (12) months following the achievement of a particular grade level (i.e. Grades D, C, B, A and AA), an incumbent will only advance to the next grade level provided he/she has taken and passed all required written or practical tests, acquired all required certifications and has met acceptable fitness for duty, work record and is able to demonstrate all job performance requirements
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- Satisfactory completion of an acceptable vocational school and/or training course in basic electronics and electro-mechanics.
- Level D
- Entry Level - Mechanic Helper - No Experience required
- Level C
- Must have one (1) year of experience as a Mechanic Helper or related role
- Level B
- Must have one (1) year of experience as a Mechanic C or related role
- Level A
- Must have one (1) year of experience as a Mechanic B or related role
- Level AA
- Must have one (1) year of experience as a Mechanic A or related role
- Valid District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia Motor Vehicle Operator's permit
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Level II Roadway Worker Protection (RWP) certificate
- Must pass Authority's formal ATC training
- Vocational or technical training in an accredited electronic/electro-mechanical course (such as STEM courses or military course)
The military occupational skills (MOS) or service occupational codes (SOC) that are most applicable to the Mechanical Helper position are listed below. Branch MOS/SOC and/or Military Function
14-Air Defense, 15-Aviation, 25- Communication, 91-Mechanical,
US Air Force
3D- Cyberspace Support 2A- Aerospace Maintenance
2W- Munitions and Weapons
06- Communication, 21- Ground Ordnance, 28- Ground Electronic,
59- Aviation, 60- Aircraft Maintenance , 63- Avionics
AT- Aviation Electronic Tech, CTM- Cryptologic Tech, ET- Electronics
Tech, FC- Fire Controlman, FT- Fire Control Tech, GSE- Gas Turbine
Electrical, IC- Interior Communication, STS- Sonar Tech Submarine Medical Group
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations. Mission Essential Designation
In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or servere weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events. Job Summary
The Mechanic Automatic Train Control (ATC) supports a 24 hour/7 day a week Metrorail system, which may include hazardous areas such as wayside, tunnels and/or equipment rooms while rail service is underway. Incumbents respond to emergencies and perform routine maintenance and/or corrective repairs on ATC assets. The incumbent troubleshoots, maintains, installs and modifies mechanical, electrical, electronic, computerized and electro-mechanical yard and train control specialized and related devices and equipment; and maintains a documented records of all work performed. Job Levels
: At each successive grade level of this job (i.e. Grades D, C, B, A and AA), the incumbent is expected to demonstrate increased, distinguishing levels of proficiency and efficiency in knowledge, skills and abilities when performing the assigned duties and essential functions described in this job description Essential Functions
- Performs preventive and unscheduled repairs, inspections, cleaning, testing, lubrication, adjustments and proper maintenance using TCR book of plans, wiring diagrams, schematics, operations manuals, regulatory codes and manufactures' maintenance instructions and uses specific types of ATC electronic test equipment and other specialized tools associated with job assignment, to ensure fully functional ATC equipment and in order to provide safe and reliable rail service.
- Performs inventories of materials and truck inspections at the start and end of shifts to ensure necessary equipment and supplies are available to complete the shift work plan.
- Assists in assigned ATC type renovation and/or installation work including Engineering Modification Instructions (EMIs) and safety bulletins to ensure fully functional ATC equipment and in order to provide safe and reliable rail service.
- Assists in the completion of assigned operational, equipment failure, safety, and other reports as required using the Authority's Maintenance Management Information System(i.e.MAXIMO) to accurately and timely document conditions of ATC assets in the field.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria
- Attends assigned on-the-job and formal training classes, to develop skills and knowledge necessary to maintain the Authority's ATC assets and complete the work in a safe and efficient manner.
- Provides technical assistance and informal on-the-job training to Mechanic Helpers to ensure work is being completed according to standard
- Assists more senior level mechanics in the performance of more difficult and complex tasks and supports lower level mechanics in completing assignment
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview....